Saturday, May 24, 2008

Movie Madness: May 24th Edition

A few items before I get started with today's review. Item 1: Farting. I've admittedly been a bit gassy the past couple nights (I blame the green beans) and it is very distracting to smell your own farts while trying to watch a move. Item 2: Drinking from a bottle. I don't know if there is anything that can make a man feel like more of a man than drinking straight from the bottle. Item 3: The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. While most of you D10ers know all about it, but for those of you who don't dig this. Anyway, one more thing that makes the song amazing, aside from its length and poetic quality (much), humming it is a great way to get kids to fall asleep. Item 4: I feel as though using lists does an adequate job masking my ineptitude at composition. Now on with the movie review...
So I picked up An American Werewolf In London and had every intention of watching it tonight but I was far too big of a coward to watch it alone and sober this close to the witching hour. Instead I borrowed Benny & Joon from my Aunt Mary and Uncle Roland. Some observations I have related to the film
1. The Jack in the Box is a very scary toy!
2. This film is further evidence that only people a bit crazy are really good at things (see Van Gogh-painting, Bobby Fischer-chess, Mike Tyson-rape)
3. I think that a really good job title for me is Domestic Engineer
4. First came love, then came marriage, then came however the rest goes....seems to me to be a very outdated phrase
With that being said I really enjoyed the film. I have a really hard time separating a likable movie from a good movie, and while I'm certain Benny & Joon is the former I'm not certain of the quality. Truthfully I don't really care to differentiate. This was ninety eight minutes I have no regrets about (except that Jewel wouldn't sell me bourbon to go in my fucking ginger ale). It has good music in it, which scores mega bonus Cream of Wheat with me, even though I'm not sure how well it fits the movie. Do you really give a fuck? Yeah? Who are you, the dad from The Squid and the Whale? It's funny though its cuteness toes the line of being hokey. Johnny Depp is fantastic, making it a very worthwhile watchin my opinion. I give it 7 boxes of Cream of Wheat out of 10. Bravo.

Title: Benny & Joon
Watched With: Solo
Evaluation: 7/10
Rankings:
1.Good Bye, Lenin!
2.War Dance
3.Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
4.Benny & Joon
5.The Savages
6.The Matrix Revolutions

No comments:

Post a Comment

Listen to Baltimore Is the New Brooklyn by JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound for free.

Official Films of the D10

  • Monkey Shines
  • Full Moon High
  • Jason and the Argonauts (2000 - Dennis Hopper Version)
  • Sssssss!
  • The Dentist 2
  • Aussie Park Boyz
  • Shivers
  • Last House on the Left

Blog Archive