Friday, May 23, 2008

Movie Madness: May 23 Edition

So we've got a new front runner and perhaps one with the endurance to hold the number one spot for some time, Good Bye, Lenin! So it's a foreign flick (from Germany) and at the risk of sounding like a movie snob, it was exquisite. I think I may have seen a preview for it on some other trendy movie that those who fancy themselves as "movie people" watch and had decided it must be awesome cause for whatever reason I love the title. I thus had very high expectations for it, which I thought may actually have a negative impact. The basic plot is pretty cool, go to the link above to see it. The main character I though was great (flashback to celebrity lookalike: he looks just like the kid in Detroit Rock City), he was sarcastic and at times funny, but not contrived like in a Kevin Smith movie. Subtitled movies are typically not favorites of mine, but as long as you haven't had too much to drink, you get over it. I don't have any great analysis to explain why it's good, but it was just so damn enjoyable. Perhaps its redeeming quality is that you seem to lose the awareness that you're watching a movie. For example, one of the characters I think fell asleep and so too did Hollywood. I don't know...I, Boots himself, am just rambling. Just watch the fucking movie for yourself. I give it 9 boxes of Cream of Wheat out of 10.

Title: Good Bye, Lenin!
Watched With: Hollywood (sorta)
Evaluation: 9/10
Rankings:
1.Good Bye, Lenin!
2.War Dance
3.Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
4.The Savages
5.The Matrix Revolutions

4 comments:

  1. Save bladerunner until I get out there, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wonder if 'Goodbye Stalin' is any better

    ReplyDelete
  3. I doubt it, the sequel is rarely as good as the original.

    ReplyDelete

Listen to Baltimore Is the New Brooklyn by JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound for free.

Official Films of the D10

  • Monkey Shines
  • Full Moon High
  • Jason and the Argonauts (2000 - Dennis Hopper Version)
  • Sssssss!
  • The Dentist 2
  • Aussie Park Boyz
  • Shivers
  • Last House on the Left

Blog Archive