Saturday, February 14, 2009

D-10 investigative reporting

Like most of you, I was surprised and deeply saddened at the number of blogs Hollywood posted on a Friday night. One, in particular, caught my eye.

I'm not sure what it was. Maybe it was the roses. Maybe it was the unicorn. Maybe it was the 25-year-old, newly baptized president. Whatever it was, it was remarkable.

As I studied it more, I was amazed at the level of detail in the background. Not that it was particularly spectacular, but it was clearly based off a real place. I had to find this place.

My hunches, in order:
It was in America
It was near a big river in America
It was over the biggest river in America
It was near the largest city on the biggest river in America

So the first place I looked was St. Louis. At first, this seemed promising, as I quickly found the Chain of Rocks Bridge:


Although promising, it isn't very close to the St. Louis Metro area. Also, the artist would have included that stupidly-located house in the painting.

Unable to find a suitable picture from near St. Louis, I went to another city on the Mississippi, Minneapolis. This, again, proved fruitless.

At this point, I tried a different approach and looked for specific types of truss bridges and got nothing.

Near the point of despair, I switched rivers. This river had to be a) large b) in a low-lying, forested area and c) near large metropolitan areas. Being familiar with its source and having intimately searched its mouth (yeah, I said it), I chose the Ohio.
(edit: I thought its mouth was at St. Louis, thus making that joke make sense. Apparently, it's closer to Cairo, IL. Still, I wanted to keep the joke in. I think I made this mistake on my Huck Finn final in high school.)

The largest Metro area on the Ohio is Pittsburgh. Wanting desperately to avoid another "There are not Three Rivers in Pittsburgh, just two" argument, I skipped it. Besides, I already have a post discussing that city's bridges, yinz needs link donton to the jint iggle to watch the stillers and buccos?

Anyway, the next largest metro area on the Ohio is Cincinnati. And in Cincinnati is where the former L&N railroad bridge was converted to a pedestrian bridge lovingly nicknamed "the Purple People Bridge" due to its distinct hue. You'll note that the bridge behind Barack is also purple. This realization was all I needed. A cursory google search led me to this picture that I believe proves Cincinnati is the city in the background of that painting. Pay attention to the towers in the background.

Decide for yourself:

1 comment:

Listen to Baltimore Is the New Brooklyn by JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound for free.

Official Films of the D10

  • Monkey Shines
  • Full Moon High
  • Jason and the Argonauts (2000 - Dennis Hopper Version)
  • Sssssss!
  • The Dentist 2
  • Aussie Park Boyz
  • Shivers
  • Last House on the Left

Blog Archive