Thursday, January 24, 2008

Enter The Artist: J.G. Gower


Good evening. I welcome you once again dear viewers to Enter the Artist. Today, we have for you a very special treat! First, we will be sitting down for a chat with renowned American paint noir virtuoso J.G. Gower, who will surely regale us with a spicy tale or two of how the dangerous live.

At the conclusion of our time, though, we hold in reserve an even more special event! Monsignior Gower will, on this very program, unveil to the world his latest creation. A haunting self-portrait titled simply "Gower, Unleashed!". This promises to be a special evening indeed!
As always, I am Virgil Sauvignon and this gentleman to my left is the inimtable J.G. Gower.

J.G., thank you for being with us.

J.G.G.: Virgil, the pleasure is all mine. Thank you for having me. Stirring passion in the arts is always a thrill.


VS: J.G., you have risen to a level of gravitas previously undreampt of in the artists' realm. The fanfare, the women -- you have every mortal's dream at your fingertips:


J.G. Gower. Truly this is the King of Kings

What is it that allows you to inspire so? What words might you have for young visionaries, struggling to follow the trail you have blazed?

JGG: Ah, well thank you, Virgil -- to be sure, you are too kind. I would be remiss if I did not say it has indeed been a wild ride. My one undying secret has been a passion for achieving my dreams. Every day, I devote 30 minutes to achieving the impossible.
VS: But, Mr. Gower, any words of wisdom for your fans out there?
JGG: Actually, yes. In my family, we have an old saying: "A lot of people have dreams about making it to Hollywood. Some of them don't make it. Others go half a mile past it and end up on Gower Street."

VS: J.G.! You are a card!

JGG: Ha! As much as I try to bottle up my spicier instinct, sometimes they rise to the surface. I'll be sure to warn you next time!




VS: Oh you! You tart! I......You are a joy to be around, has anyone ever told you that?

JGG: Well I, ...I..you're too kind.

VS: Let's get serious, for a moment, if we can --
JGG: That's a BIG if!

VS: ...Yes. So, if we may get serious --- your methodolgies. I understand that a good artist will never fully reveal his secrets, but J.G., you've taken the art world by storm! You have fame and fortune and everything that goes with it -- can you offer us a window into your creative process?

JGG: Yes, Vigril; certainly. One of the most crucial points of emphasis for me is to fully immerse myself in my subjects. If I can become the subject of my art, it is then a near effortless process to recreate myself (as the subject) on my canvas.

VS: Fascinating. An example?

JGG: Well, for one instance: in doing research for my painting "Women!," I realized the driving dynamic of the work would be the interplay between Kenton and his wife.

(Left: "Women!" by JG Gower) I had experience as a man trying to get something from a woman before, but I had never known the experience of being a housewife. As a result, I spent 6 months working as a psuedo-spouse for a dear friend of mine:


As you can see, I take my research very seriously.


VS: You are a credit to your craft. Another illustration?

JGG: Trying to milk me for all I'm worth, eh Virgil?

VS: We have to pay the bills around here somehow!

(LAUGHTER)


(Left: "The Noble Savage"by J.G. Gower)






JG: Well, to address your original point, one of my most profound experiences in art came in the method research period for (what Juster's magazine has considered Gower's masterpiece) "The Noble Savage." In order to fully envelop myself in the strategies and themes of the work, I literally wore a diaper for three years.


VS: Fascinating. Fascinating. What was that like?








JGG: Well obviously I was able to go to the bathroom all over myself at any time I wished, but it went so much further than that. I saw the world in a different way. I had......There were...... periods of intense arousal.



VS: Urine and feces. Uncontrollable and prominent erections.....So much for your success with the ladies!


JGG: To the contrary, Virgil, there were many lovely flamingos who seemed doubly taken with me during this period. Here is a picture that illustrates the beginning of one of my more notorious evenings:




















VS
: J. G. G.! -- What are we going to do with you?!







VS: Well, a tragedy: I believe our time is almost up. We have reached the climax of our evening. Ladies and Gentlemen both in the audience and at home, you are about to wittness a historic event.


In just moments, you are going to wittness the unveiling of the great J.G. Gower's latest work -- a biographical self-portrait elegantly entitled "Gower, Unleashed!" J.G?


JGG: It is not often that an artist fails to get butterflies in his stomach before the world looks anew on one of his creations. In this moment, though, I am utterly tranquil I have poured my soul..every ounce of my being into this...this Opus. In this moment, I am unleashed!



"Gower, Unleashed!"

1 comment:

  1. For the record, I was never contacted about this interview. Everyone knows that my stage name is J. Gaughan Gower. Also, that last work clearly reeks of forgery. Look at the eyebrows. When have I ever used curly eyebrows? Or a MAC, for that matter.

    ReplyDelete

Listen to Baltimore Is the New Brooklyn by JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound for free.

Official Films of the D10

  • Monkey Shines
  • Full Moon High
  • Jason and the Argonauts (2000 - Dennis Hopper Version)
  • Sssssss!
  • The Dentist 2
  • Aussie Park Boyz
  • Shivers
  • Last House on the Left