
While drinking nine dollar Norwegian beers at a local establishment (they cost $12 in Norway) he tried to teach us a Norwegian drinking song. It was a complete failure, we didn't understand any of the words, he tried to write the words on a napkin but the characters looked like the signs in the corn in... Signs. Well he was kind enough to send me a link to retrieve the song lyrics, and after much effort, I have translated it for the benefit of all you D10ers (still no ideal on how to pronounce any of the words). I first present the Norwegian version. Next, the semi-literal translation, followed by my best interpretation of it. Discussion to follow. Without further ado....
En bayer i hånden
Jeg er født med en bayer i hånden
og sådan har jeg tenkt meg at jeg også ville dø -
Jeg drikker øl til jeg oppgiver ånden,
la døden komme langsomt av seg selv pø om pø.
I en kupe på ekspressen til Bergen,
sitter der en pikelill og piken tvinner garn.
Ovenfor henne så sitter der en herre,
han si'r hun er den fjerde han har sett er med barn.
«Gud» hviner piken, «han tror jeg er gravid».
«Rolig» sier herren, vi rekker nok det hele,
vi er først i Bergen om en halvtimes tid.
Refrain:
Når jeg er død og er senket ned i graven
ja, da vil jeg håpe mine negler de vil gro.
Så vil jeg grave meg en gang under haven,
hen til den nærmeste landeveiskro.
Der vil jeg kjøpe meg en bayer eller to,
så vil jeg grave meg tilbake til graven,
der vil jeg nyte dem i fred og i ro.
Literal Version
A Beer in Hand
I'm born to a beer in handAs such have I reflected that I also want to die
I drink ale until I abandon breath
Allow death to arrive slow by herself pø om pø
To an undulating expression in Bergen (This Place)
Sit there a good deal, purple girl, and girl coerce thread
Above her saw sit there a master
Her tells her that the fourth he having game with children
"God" screeching girl "he believing I am pregnant"
"Calmly" says master, we are handling enough facts entirely
We're first in Bergen, in a half-time interval
Refrain:
When I'm dead and lowered into my grave
Oh well, it will be my hope the nail they'll grow
Rested I will dig a passage below the garden
Affection at the nearest land-signpost
There shall I buy my a beer or derives from
Saw, I will burrow back to my grave
There will I enjoy them in peace and quiet
Erik's refined version (I am of Norwegian descent)
A Beer In Hand
I was born with a beer in hand
As such I have decided I want to die
I'll drink ale until I stop breathing
Allow death to arrive slow by herself ( I don't know what the fuck pø om pø means)
To a shifting time in Bergen
There is a girl working thread
Above her is her husband
He tells her he wants a fourth child to play with
"God" screams the girl, "He thinks I'm pregnant"
"Be Calm" said the husband, just think about it
We'd be the first in Bergen in a long time
Refrain
When I'm dead and lowered into my grave
I hope that my nail will grow
So I can dig a passage below the ground
And find my desire at the nearest pub
Then I'll dig back to my grave
There I will enjoy them in peace and quiet
Ok, so I have no idea what is really going on in the middle stanza. I welcome any comments but will automatically discredit any non Norsemen. Within the next week or so we'll get an official translation from Haakon. Personally, I think it had something more to do with slipping one past the goalie (the Scandinavian hockey teams have notoriously great skaters but rarely boast a decent net minder) but I can't back this up with anything besides my fine, fine Norwegian blood. What says you to that?
Special thanks to Norwegian Wikipedia and a couple online translators.
No comments:
Post a Comment