I had my first girlfriend when I was 16. The first time we kissed, we were walking on a beach (awwwwwwwwwwwwww!) and I was quite nervous about making the first move. Fortunately, I was a precocious chap at that age, and I entered the situation equipped with (what I then thought was a) charming witticism that would diffuse all the tension and make my lady melt in my arms.
(note: it was the early part of this decade, so you must remember this was, at the time, somewhat topical)
"So" I asked as we strolled hand-in-hand along the moonlit shores of Lake Michigan. "Tell me, what's your favorite song by Sixpence None the Richer?"
Genius. Obviously she was going to answer 'Kiss Me', because that's the only song by Sixpence None the Richer that anyone's ever heard of, right? Slightly amused, slightly flattered, she'd clearly see where this was going and the matter would then resolve of it's own volition. Except that's not how it worked out.
"Oh my God!" she said, way too excitedly. "There's this song, off their album, it's called 'Love.' I just can't get enough of it."
For those of you at home who are thinking 'What on earth was she talking about?' here's a link to what I assume is a video of the song. It doesn't have the same title, but there is no possible way for me to figure out what exactly I'm looking for. Also, um, it's way too painful to think about.
In any case, things ended up going pretty ok for the 3-and-a-half weeks that we dated (except for a few moments of teenage dating awkwardness that are too brazenly horrid even for this blog). What I've taken from the experience now, 8 years later (!) is a great idea for a new blog feature. A little idea I like to call: Redemption Rednesday.
On Redemption Rednesday, I will endeavor to find a noteworthy song/effort by a heretofore one-hit wonder. Today's entry: Right Said Fred, with a cover of 'Where Do You Go To My Lovely?' originally by Peter Sartesdat. Have a look:
As far as rendition, video, general oddity, etc. I award this Redemption Rednesday entry 6.5 Sixpence out of 10.
You can listen to the original below:
Then, finally, just because this is too fucking weird not to share:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Listen to Baltimore Is the New Brooklyn by JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound for free.
Official Films of the D10
- Monkey Shines
- Full Moon High
- Jason and the Argonauts (2000 - Dennis Hopper Version)
- Sssssss!
- The Dentist 2
- Aussie Park Boyz
- Shivers
- Last House on the Left
Internet Friends
Another, Less Sexual D10 Blog
Links -- Sports
Links -- Religion
Hollywood's Haunts
Boots' Boudoirs
Contributors
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(124)
-
▼
March
(19)
- This one goes out to . . .
- Ta-Nahesi Coates
- Web 1.0, ct. (sorta)
- Web 1.0
- Friday night music blog
- Oh hey craigslist
- Shep!
- Holy Shit!, ctd.
- Hongera Sana D10
- In case you thought
- Since I haven't
- Redemption Rednesday
- Nine Innings, Nine Positions, Ninety Years, Bar Nine
- Drat! (an epilogue of sorts)
- Daylight Savings Time
- Love Will Tear Us Apart
- RED ALERT
- Sci-Fi/Music Friday!
- Oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god
-
▼
March
(19)
No comments:
Post a Comment